The Street Coaching for Pedestrians and Cyclists on University Campuses project aims to address pedestrian and bicyclist safety through an outreach and educational campaign for all road users. The Texas A&M Transportation Institute in partnership with the Texas Department of Transportation has developed a set of fundamental resources that speak to the issue of vulnerable road user safety on university campuses. You might find these resources beneficial for use in your department, student groups or for the scholar’s you mentor and serve. You can view these resources here.
Street Coaching for Pedestrians & Cyclists Online Training
To enhance and promote traffic safety for vulnerable road users on college campuses, the Texas A&M Transportation Institute, in partnership with the Texas Department of Transportation, has developed an online self-paced training for college students and staff on pedestrian and bicycle traffic laws and safety.
**NOTE** To take the course, you will have to create a free account with www.teachable.com
TTI Offers Free Training
The information is presented by the Center for Alcohol and Drug Education Studies and is delivered free of charge thanks to the generous funding by the Texas Department of Transportation.
The Street Coaching for Pedestrian & Bicyclists: Putting Laws Into Practice on University Campuses training includes the following topics:
- Overview of a crash data involving pedestrians and bicyclists
- Introduction of the Texas Transportation Code
- Right-of-Way Laws
- Safety tips for motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians
This project’s goal is to change behaviors related to pedestrian and bicycle safety by engaging students, staff, and law enforcement on a large university campus regarding existing pedestrian and bicycle laws.
For more information about the training, contact: Emmy Shields, [email protected].
- Is this training going to cost me anything?
No! The course is sponsored by the Texas Department of Transportation, so there is no cost to you or your university.
- How long is the training?
This training is broken up into modules that you may complete on your own time. From start to finish, the training is approximately 35 minutes.
- Do I need to pre-register for this training?
No, the training course is self-paced through Teachable.com. You will need to register for an account at Teachable to view the course.
- How do I use www.teachable.com?
Use https://support.teachable.com/hc/en-us for support or follow the directions below.
- Click on course to select.
- Click on Enroll now button.
- Log in or register with teachable.com. It is free.
- Confirm your email by using the link emailed to you.
- Select Go to Course Curriculum button.
- Click Start button on right-hand side of screen on the first module.
- When slide opens, hit the Play triangle at the bottom-left of the screen.
- When each slide is completed, click the Complete and Continue button at the top-right of the screen