Our community’s health, well-being, and security are our highest priorities. As the novel coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) continues to impact Texans, all trainings in 2022 will be conducted in a live webinar format.
Register now with these quick links!
Criminal justice professionals play a crucial role in promoting safer roads through the effective handling of DWI cases. Research has shown that subsequent DWI offenders have a considerable rate of substance abuse and/or mental health needs. These statistics point to the importance of considering DWI offenders’ behavioral and mental health concerns during the sentencing and supervising process.
Thus, the Texas A&M Transportation Institute (TTI), sponsored by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), developed a curriculum to train DWI criminal justice professionals in matters regarding mental health and referral practices in DWI cases.
These FREE courses in 2022 will be conducted in a live webinar format. Criminal justice professionals will explore topics related to:
- Mental health concepts and common jargon,
- Locating statewide mental health resources,
- Developing partnerships with treatment providers and other criminal justice stakeholders,
- Best practices in referring DWI cases to appropriate community resources.
Training opportunities are available later this summer. If you are interested, select your profession below to direct you to your registration information page.
For more information about the training, please contact the training coordinator.
To view the past training recording and materials, click here.
- Do I need to pre-register for this training? Yes. Pre-registration is required to ensure your place in the training. You will not receive the webinar link without pre-registration.
- Can a co-worker of mine participate? Yes. We encourage anyone that would benefit from the training to attend. This includes clerks and other administrative staff.
- I have previously attended this training – would it be beneficial for me to attend it again? Yes. This training is updated each year to provide professionals with the most accurate data, facts, and resources.
- Is this training going to cost me anything? No! The course is sponsored at no charge to you by the TxDOT.
- Do I get continuing education credit? Yes. Judges are eligible for state bar credit.